20 March 2008

This day , that day

,
Circa 1996

I belonged to a dance troupe called 'Drishti' , called so simply because it had the starting letters of everybody in the troupe.
There was a dance competition(amongst many others) that was being held at the Gymkhana at IISC.Then , IISC to me was just a painfully far away dance venue.It was the perfect day to bunk classes , get toasty inside a blanket and read a book.Instead, I was dressed in a light blue Lavani Saree and sitting in an auto to get to IISC. Make up et all.With a shawl covering whatever the Lavani saree didnt.And that, was saying quite a lot.
Picture this.Bangalore torrential rains , a short girl in a weird electric blue (which D had ensured was a lovely peacock blue) attire, sporting fake jasmine flowers(they're light on the head and pass off beautifully for the real ones) around an enormous fake hair bun and with a face that resembled Chandramukhi (the only difference being , it didn't go 'Ra Ra..').You'd think the horror show would end there.No it didn't.When the apparition got down from the auto in front of IISC , it had blue coloured rain water dripping at its feet, the bun had taken a walk sideways(much like Narada's) , and the face looked more like Chandramakhi now than ever.
Anyway , coming back to the purpose of the post , our group was asked to be seated in the front rows to await our turn.A singing competition was going on.It was then that I saw him.Err , didn't I mention it? That HE was the purpose of this long winded post?Tch Tch,well , now you know.
He strode over to the mike and began singing "Rim Jhim Gire Saawan .." from the Amitabh starrer Manzil.All of 6 feet , tall dark and handsome.Not Amitabh , HIM.And he also sang like no man's business.
It was our turn to perform.The stage was in darkness , we took our positions and the lights came on.The familiar song started playing.And my bun fell.IT FELL.In front of thousands of hooting hooligans.Most importantly , in front of HIM.I composed myself as the rest of Dhrishti cast worried glances at me , wondering if they should stop dancing or if I would stop yanking at my hair first.I did.I bunched up my hair into a high rise pony , and danced.Albeit shakily.
Today , on my way to work , I remembered all this.Because the morning looked cloudy and romantic , and there was 'Kabhie Kabhie mere dil mein' playing in my iPod.

PS: I wonder where he is now.Married?.A father?

Sigh.

4 scribbled back to “This day , that day”

  • Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:40:00 AM
    Altoid says:

    Sigh! All the more reason to keep dancing Seren :D you never know WHO you'll run into!

  • Friday, March 21, 2008 10:48:00 PM
    Sara says:

    Awwwwwww....
    Can relate to the made-up girl in an auto on a rainy day.... kitna energy tha un dino mein, we'd do it inspite of all odds :) This post of yours brought back cute, very cute memories of my own school/college days.. Yes even the mishap on stage thingie... I FELL (doing a very difficult squat, shake, get up shake step) on stage during my FINAL YEAR at ENGG.. in front of all the boys, all the faculty, all the girls who'd later mock me for days... I FELL, got up continued to dance, inspite of people booing... and then ran home, and thought I would kill myself instead of facing people at college the next day!!!!
    Ya and like Altoid said, keep dancing, kya pata that HE might still be singing...

  • Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:16:00 PM
    Usha says:

    aiyo, the sari colour bled?
    So unfair, you mean the guy didn't come backstage and try to talk to you. doesn't he watch films - isn't that the way the first 'romantic' meeting always happens?
    sigh. But the loss is his.
    I bet on this cloudy day, he is also rubbing his pot belly and regretting what he didn't do.

  • Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:38:00 PM
    Serendipity says:

    Altoid: YOU never lose hope do ya? ;)
    Durga: You know , we should have an all girls dance party nite. You did? Them boys are useless , unmein to dum nahi hai dance karne ke liye , but hoot tho karenge hi.Pshaw@ them
    :)
    Usha:
    Yes , terrible cotton saree , overnite it turned into a napkin , while i was IN it.No he couldn't have! (Are u going to judge me for this comment in lieu of your recent post? :P).You see he could never have known .Tch Sniff :P
    Now , you're talking , pot belly is the way to go!! :)

 

Of this and that Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger Templates