20 June 2008

All for a piece of cloth

,

Thy clothes are all the soul thou hast.

Author: Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher



If I had to go by the above quote, my soul would have to be a combination of the following:-

Straight cut , no flair , high collar (I turned into a nun overnight)

Ps: No offence meant to nuns or anybody who’s a wannabe nun

Weird frock like ensemble , indecent looking pot neck (more like cauldron neck)

Ensemble that refuses to budge down below neck area

Something that I could perhaps wear after I shed about 50 Kgs

Something that I could perhaps wear after I gained 50 Kgs

Something that I could never wear

Suffice to say, I have tailor problems.

My first tailor was about a Km and half away and school friend P introduced me to him. His first outfit was a Gurjari product that fit my weird-looking-teenage-just-out-PU form to the tee. It was well-cut and my friends raved about it. And I was ecstatic! The next trip to him found me beaming, gushing and ever so desperate. To cut a 5 year long story short , at the end of it I made the following observations:

He was good at only straight cut plain salwar suits which were minus hand embroidery,machine embroidery , appliqué- in short, anything that required an imagination.Hmmm..thats saying he missed quite a few classes in his tailoring school

And then all of a sudden, my stars, as is wont of stars, took a turn for the worse. I had a huge fight with him and stormed away laden with a freshly-cut-ready-to- be-but-not-yet stitched kurta and swore never to be back again.

Did you know that tailors have a rule in their rupa-new-designs-for-the-modarn woman book that reads:

‘Thou shalt not touch a garment that has been rendered cut but not stitched by a fellow tailor’ ?

Well now you do.

Weekend after weekend saw me take the frail little piece of red garment (its insides hopelessly bruised, cut and unstitched) to various tailors , big and small , from boutiques to Dress makers- we met them all. First..Second. Third opinions yielded the same diagnosis. Frail red cloth would not be touched.

And then , the same stars led me to Kapad.Not Kapda –Kapad.Kapad House. He fashioned a Kurti for me that was lacking in many areas.But then , Kapad had the emotional advantage. He had been my savior when the entire world and its sewing machine had shunned me.

Good lord , MS word wants to replace Kapad with Keypad..tch tch how insensitive

Weekend after weekend saw me handing various pieces of material stored from my no-tailor days to Kapad who was enthusiastic. Overtly so, coming to think of it.He told me he was due for a Diploma in Fashion Design and the courier guy would be honoring him with it anytime in the near future.

One, two three mishaps later, a thought started creeping into my head. Were my Kurtis supposed to make me look like I had wings for sleeves? But then, I lived on in denial.Atleast I had someone whom I could call my tailor…

Fourth’s a charm, like they say. It was a lovely sea-green material that I had lovingly bought in Madras. And now, it looked like a camping tent. Make that a camp. I rushed to Kapad and spread it on his table.

“ What is this”

“Oh madam, you remember? You came last Sunday and took it? Its your dress”

“I KNOW, BUT WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE I WANT TO COVER ASIA WITH IT”

“See madam” *Brandishes his measuring tape* “ Your waist is x ,and so is this, neck is y and so is this , hips are z and so is this..”

I looked on patiently and said “Yes , but where is the cut??”

“What cut madam?”

“For once , we agree!”

“See madam , it is cut according to your body shape!”

“YES! EXACTLY! If I were proud of my body shape, why do you think I’d be searching heaven and earth for a good tailor you nincompoop!!I’d wear a banian.AND you charge me like I were to be a queen .. like I’m Miss Chola or something!! And you can’t cut a simple piece of cloth!!”

Yes, I stormed away.

Again.

And then I found ‘Kaya , every woman’s desire”. She charged me 450 Rs to “design” a kurti. It’s called differently in different parts of the world. Its not her fault , really.Over here , we call it a “choli”

Choli

a short-sleeved blouse, often one exposing part of the midriff, worn by Hindu women in India. Also,cholee.

She calls it a kurti.

A rose by any other name , would fit you would think?

SIGH.


7 scribbled back to “All for a piece of cloth”

  • Friday, June 20, 2008 3:06:00 AM
    Altoid says:

    lol! you and your saga with tailors! And you forgot to mention that phases when you were obsessed with boat necks!

    So now you're going around wearing cholee-like kurtis?

  • Friday, June 20, 2008 4:38:00 AM

    Miss Chola in a Choli! :))
    The only cut popular w/ tailors these days is on the pocket!
    Nice post Seren

  • Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:40:00 AM
    Usha says:

    I cannot believe this. I just did a post on my travails with tailors and alto says you have been crying about the same.
    I can relate to every word you have written...Been all over,and done all of that!
    And with the money I have spent on these tailors I could probably have got a degree in fashion designing. sob...
    Linking this post to mine.

  • Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:48:00 PM
    Anonymous says:

    hehhehhhehe :-)))) Funnnnnnnny post like always!! And quite co-incidentally, I've never had a good experience with tailors either !!!

    Btw, you've been tagged :)

  • Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:54:00 AM
    Serendipity says:

    Alto : Well,considering you were the one that bought me 2 new boat necks !No , I secreted them into the bottom of your suitcase , did u find 'em already ?:) heehee...
    MSM:Chola+choli = Chole? :-/ i soo agree with you.Ive spent a good half of my salary so far investing in bad clothes .And I mean investing with full blooded sarcasm.Grr
    Usha : Teehee! Soul - sistah!Thanks for the link !
    SnS: :) thanks.Yes I will take eet up!

  • Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:14:00 AM

    :)

    First-timer here.. But the complaints are the same in every part of the world :)

  • Friday, June 27, 2008 5:08:00 AM
    Serendipity says:

    Impulsively Me: So glad.Misery loves company.Welcome :)

 

Of this and that Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger Templates